BARCLAYS plc (BCS) Stocks
📊 Barclays plc, a British multinational investment bank and financial services company, was founded in 1690 and has its headquarters in London in the United Kingdom. It operates globally through a host of subsidiaries.
📊 The company’s history began in 1690 when Thomas Gould and John Freame began trading as goldsmith bankers in Lombard Street in London. When Fraeme’s son-in-law, James Barclay, became a partner in 1736, the name “Barclays” became associated with the business.
📊 It moved to 54 Lombard Street in 1728 and adopted the logo of a Black Spread Eagle which became a core part of the bank’s visual identity. In 1896, several banks in London and the English provinces merged as a joint-stock bank named Barclays and Co.
📊 Barclays has made numerous acquisitions over the years, including London, Provincial and South Western Bank in 1918, Mercantile Credit in 1975 and Woolwich in 2000, to name but a few.
📊 Barclays installed the world’s first cash machine in 1967. This memorable occasion is commemorated by a plaque in Enfield in the United Kingdom.
📊 Today, Barclays plc employs approximately 83 000 people across its operations.
You might also like: BONANZA CREEK ENERGY STOCKS
HISTORY OF BARCLAYS
- Barclays plc conducts its business through a host of subsidiaries worldwide. The bank operates in the United Kingdom, Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Its segments include Barclays UK and Barclays International.
- Barclays is organised into two business clusters: Corporate and Investment Banking and Wealth and Investment Management; and Retail and Business Banking. The first cluster, Corporate and Investment Banking and Wealth and Investment Management comprises three business divisions: Corporate Banking, Investment Banking and Wealth and Investment Management. The company’s Retail and Business Banking cluster is also organised into various segments.
- Barclays plc has more than 4 750 branches in approximately 55 countries. Of these, about 1 600 are situated in the United Kingdom. The bank also offers some of its services through branches of the Post Office. Customers and non-customers can use Barclays ATMs for free in the UK. The bank is a member of the Global ATM Alliance. The latter allows each bank’s customers to use their ATM or debit cards at all other member banks with no ATM access fees when travelling internationally.
VISION & VALUES OF BARCLAYS
- Barclays plc’s mission is to create opportunities to rise – for employees, clients, partners, society and shareholders alike. The bank’s values underpin its business operations and govern everything it does.
- It respects and values its workforce, acts with integrity, puts its clients at the center of all its operations and uses its energy and resources to deliver the best sustainable results.
- It is also a custodian of its environment and believes in leaving things better than it found them. This approach to business creates growth opportunities and adds value for shareholders who purchase company shares.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF BARCLAYS
- Barclays plc trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “BCS”. The bank is also an FTSE 100 component.
- For the fiscal year 2018, the bank recorded revenue of £ 21.136 billion, operating income of £ 3.494 billion and net income of £ 2.372 billion. Its total assets were valued at £ 1.133 trillion.
- This strong financial presence in the market affords shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of solid dividends and returns.
You might also like: BCE STOCKS
LATEST NEWS BARCLAYS
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy BARCLAYS Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN BARCLAYS STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE BARCLAYS STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of BARCLAYS stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy BARCLAYS stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : BRUNSWICK STOCKS