BARCLAYS plc (BCS) Stocks
📊 Barclays plc, a British multinational investment bank and financial services company, was founded in 1690 and has its headquarters in London in the United Kingdom. It operates globally through a host of subsidiaries.
📊 The company’s history began in 1690 when Thomas Gould and John Freame began trading as goldsmith bankers in Lombard Street in London. When Fraeme’s son-in-law, James Barclay, became a partner in 1736, the name “Barclays” became associated with the business.
📊 It moved to 54 Lombard Street in 1728 and adopted the logo of a Black Spread Eagle which became a core part of the bank’s visual identity. In 1896, several banks in London and the English provinces merged as a joint-stock bank named Barclays and Co.
📊 Barclays has made numerous acquisitions over the years, including London, Provincial and South Western Bank in 1918, Mercantile Credit in 1975 and Woolwich in 2000, to name but a few.
📊 Barclays installed the world’s first cash machine in 1967. This memorable occasion is commemorated by a plaque in Enfield in the United Kingdom.
📊 Today, Barclays plc employs approximately 83 000 people across its operations.
HISTORY OF BARCLAYS
- Barclays plc conducts its business through a host of subsidiaries worldwide. The bank operates in the United Kingdom, Europe, the Americas, Africa, the Middle East and Asia. Its segments include Barclays UK and Barclays International.
- Barclays is organised into two business clusters: Corporate and Investment Banking and Wealth and Investment Management; and Retail and Business Banking. The first cluster, Corporate and Investment Banking and Wealth and Investment Management comprises three business divisions: Corporate Banking, Investment Banking and Wealth and Investment Management. The company’s Retail and Business Banking cluster is also organised into various segments.
- Barclays plc has more than 4 750 branches in approximately 55 countries. Of these, about 1 600 are situated in the United Kingdom. The bank also offers some of its services through branches of the Post Office. Customers and non-customers can use Barclays ATMs for free in the UK. The bank is a member of the Global ATM Alliance. The latter allows each bank’s customers to use their ATM or debit cards at all other member banks with no ATM access fees when travelling internationally.
VISION & VALUES OF BARCLAYS
- Barclays plc’s mission is to create opportunities to rise – for employees, clients, partners, society and shareholders alike. The bank’s values underpin its business operations and govern everything it does.
- It respects and values its workforce, acts with integrity, puts its clients at the center of all its operations and uses its energy and resources to deliver the best sustainable results.
- It is also a custodian of its environment and believes in leaving things better than it found them. This approach to business creates growth opportunities and adds value for shareholders who purchase company shares.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF BARCLAYS
- Barclays plc trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “BCS”. The bank is also an FTSE 100 component.
- For the fiscal year 2018, the bank recorded revenue of £ 21.136 billion, operating income of £ 3.494 billion and net income of £ 2.372 billion. Its total assets were valued at £ 1.133 trillion.
- This strong financial presence in the market affords shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of solid dividends and returns.