BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB (BMY) Stocks
ABOUT BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB
📊 Bristol-Myers Squibb Company (BMS), a multinational pharmaceutical company, was founded in 1887 and has its headquarters in New York City, in the United States.
📊 The company is one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical giants, and manufactures prescription pharmaceuticals and biologics in therapeutic areas such as HIV/Aids, cancer, cardiovascular disease, hepatitis, diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis and psychiatric disorders.
📊 BMS boasts a rich history. In 1887, William McLaren Bristol and John Ripley Myers, both Hamilton College graduates, purchased the Clinton Pharmaceutical in New York. They renamed it to Bristol, Myers and Company in 1898. The Squibb Corporation, a major supplier of medical goods to the Union Army during the American Civil War, was founded in 1858 by Edward Robinson Squibb. The two companies merged in 1989 to become Bristol-Myers Squibb, a global leader in health care. This combination of two strengths propelled BMS into the top-20 list of global pharmaceutical companies. By 1995 the company boasted more than 60 product lines and recorded sales of approximately US$50 million worldwide.
📊 BMI has numerous research and development facilities at locations worldwide: Lawrence, Hopewell Township and New Brunswick, New Jersey; East Syracuse, New York; Cambridge, Massachusetts; Swords, Ireland; Braine-l’Alleud, Belgium; Tokyo, Japan, and Bangalore, India. The company also has various manufacturing facilities located in the U.S., Puerto Rico France, Italy, Ireland, Japan, China and Mexico.
📊 Although BMS supplies a global customer base, the U.S. accounts for more than 50% of its annual revenue. Today, the company employs approximately 28 000 people worldwide. In the U.S., women represent more than 50 % of its workforce.
You might also like: BOSTON SCIENTIFIC STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB
- Bristol-Myers Squibb operations focus on medicines for unmet medical needs, with specific emphasis on immune-oncology. Its other primary therapeutic areas of focus include immunoscience, cardiovascular, metabolics, neuroscience, and virology.
- The company is known for a range of blockbuster drugs, such as the cancer treatment Opdivo, Orencia (rheumatoid arthritis), Eliquis (stroke prevention), and Reyataz and Sustiva (for the treatment of HIV). The company sells its products to health-care practitioners, hospitals, retail pharmacies, government entities, and managed caregivers in more than 100 countries. BMI’s wholesale drug distributors, McKesson, Cardinal Health and AmerisourceBergen combined, account for approximately 60% of the company’s annual sales.
- Its pharmaceutical products comprise chemically synthesized drugs or small molecules, and products manufactured from biologics. Small molecule drugs are administered in the form of a tablet, while biologics are administered through injections or infusion.
- BMI received America’s highest honour for technological innovation, the National Medal of Technology, in 1998. It was awarded by President Bill Clinton, “for extending and enhancing human life through innovative pharmaceutical research and development, and for redefining the science of clinical study through ground-breaking and hugely complex clinical trials that are recognised models in the industry.
VALUES OF BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB
- The company’s mission is to discover, develop and deliver innovative medicines that assist patients to prevail over serious diseases.
- The company pledges to act in its belief that the integrity of the producer of a priceless ingredient is paramount. Bristol-Myers Squibb operates according to the highest ethical standards. It believes in continuous dialogue with all its stakeholders and continuously seeks to understand the needs of its customers.
- The company further believes in transparency and accountability at all times. It is fully dedicated to its commitment to economic, social and environmental sustainability and also extends this expectation to its suppliers and partners. The company also seeks to give its shareholders exceptional value.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company ranked #145 on the Fortune 500 list of the largest U.S corporations by revenue in 2018. It trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “BMY”.
- The company’s sound finances afford shareholders the confidence to buy or sell shares in the expectation of solid dividends and returns. BMI’s market capitalization was valued at more than US$1.6 billion in October 2018. It reported annual revenue of US$1.6 billion in 2017, an increase of 6.9 % over the previous fiscal cycle.
You might also like: BOOKING HOLDINGS STOCKS
LATEST NEWS BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy BRISTOL-MYERS SQUIBB stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : BIOGEN STOCKS