CHARLES RIVER LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL (CRL) Stocks
ABOUT CHARLES RIVER LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL
📊 Charles River Laboratories International, Inc.is a provider of research tools and support services for the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and medical device industries across the globe. It offers animal research models in the research and development areas for new drugs, therapies and devices.
📊 The company’s history dates back to 1947 when it was founded. It is headquartered in Wilmington, Massachusetts and has more than 14 000 employees across the globe.
📊 Today the company has more than 80 facilities operating in 20 countries. Its subsidiaries include Subsidiaries: MPI Research Inc., Accugenix, Inc., Charles River Laboratories Japan, Inc., Celsis International, Blue Stream Laboratories, Inc. and Charles River Laboratories Group.
HISTORY OF CHARLES RIVER LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL
- Charles River is founded by Henry Foster in 1947. He is a young veterinarian who sets up a one-man laboratory in Boston with one thousand rat cages. The aim of his business is to fulfil the local need for laboratory animals. In 1955 he relocates the company’s headquarters to Wilmington where it still is today.
- In 1966 Charles River goes international with the opening of an animal production facility in France. The company implements the first commercial, comprehensive genetic monitoring program in 1981. In 1984 it buys Bausch & Lomb. Four years later the company expands to the creation of transgenic rats and mice.
- Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. buys Specific Pathogen Antigen Free Avian Services (SPAFAS) and Merck, Sharp, and Dohme in 1992.
- By 1994 the company starts offering in vitro endotoxin testing.
- In the late 1990s Charles River buys Endosafe, Inc., is bought back from Bausch & Lomb and buys Sierra Biomedical. It starts offering biopharmaceutical services.
- In 2002 the company launches the Humane Care Imperative to raise awareness and train its employees about the importance of animal welfare. The Boston Globe names Charles River “Company of the Year” in the same year. In 2003 Charles River merges with UK based research company Inveresk.
- The company signs a ten year contract partnering with the National Cancer Institute in 2008. In the same year it opens a facility in Frederick, Maryland. During the next few years Charles River buys various companies which include Piedmont Research Center, LLC, Vital River, NewLab Bioquality AG, Cerebricon, Ltd., MIR Preclinical Services and Accugenix. These acquisitions allow the company to expand its research models and services to China’s drug development and discovery markets.
- In 2014 Charles River buys BioFocus and Argenta. These acquisitions enable the company to establish itself as a full-service, early-stage contract research organization. It offers in vitro and in vivo capabilities from the target discovery to the preclinical development.
- In 2015 the company buys Celsis International for the price of $ 212 million.
- In 2018 Charles River buys MPI Research for approximately $ 800 million in cash.
- In 2019 the company buys Citoxlab (which includes AccelLAB, Atlanbio, and SOLVO Biotechnology) for € 448 million in cash (approximately $ 500 million).
VISION & VALUES OF CHARLES RIVER LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL
- Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. is passionate about creating healthier lives.
- In 2018 the company supported 85% of drugs approved by the FDA.
- The company strives to be the difference for its clients, partners, animals and colleagues.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF CHARLES RIVER LABORATORIES INTERNATIONAL
- Charles River Laboratories International, Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE stock symbol “CRL”.
- It is an S&P 400 Component. In its second quarter 2019 financial report the company reports revenue of $ 657.6 million, an increase of 12.3% from $ 585.3 million in the second quarter of 2018.