GRAHAM HOLDINGS (GHC) Stocks
ABOUT GRAHAM HOLDINGS
📊 Graham Holdings Company is a media and education company. Its portfolio offers a variety of services such as online, print and television broadcasting, manufacturing, pressure-impregnated kiln-dried wood products, technology, cyber security training, hospice and health care as well as numerous other services.
📊 Graham Holdings owns several businesses through which it operates, such as Kaplan, Graham Media Group, Hoover Treated Wood Products, CyberVista, Graham Healthcare Group, Dekko, the Slate Group, SocialCode as well as Forney Corporation.
📊 Graham Holdings Company employs more than 11 500 people and is headquartered is located in Arlington County, Virginia.
HISTORY OF GRAHAM HOLDINGS
- The company is founded in 1877 by Democrat Stilson Hutchins and publishes The Post newspaper.
- In 1988 Hutchins buys the Daily Republican. A year the Frank Hatton buys The Post.
- It is purchased in 1905 by the owner of Cincinnati Enquirer, John R. McLean. The company is incorporated in 1947 as the Washington Post Company.
- A year later it buys controlling interests in WTOP Radio.
- In the 1950’s a new newspaper plant is built valued at $ 6 million. The same year CBS Television Station is purchased and is renamed WBOB-TV. It buys several more companies during the next few years and its portfolio expands impressively.
- It has its initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange in 1971 and sells its common stock for a price of $ 26 per share. Through the years it acquires more companies.
- In 2013 founder of Amazon.com, Jeff Bezos, buys the Washington Post Company for a price of $ 250 million. It is renamed Graham Holdings Company.
VISION & VALUES OF GRAHAM HOLDINGS
- Graham Holdings Company operates responsibly and contributes to its surrounding communities and organizations that supports education, culture and art, civic and community as well as health and human services. Graham Holdings matches gifts from employees to non-profit organizations.
- The company’s educational business, Kaplan, offers financial and academic support to students from low income households in the New York City area. The company’s television station, Graham Media Group, supports blood drives, disaster relief efforts, cancer screenings and other initiatives in the communities from where it operates.
- Graham Holdings Company is committed to minimizing its environmental footprint. In several of its businesses, energy is reduced and new buildings are constructed to be more energy efficient. By offering distance learning courses, the company reduces energy and thereby reduces carbon dioxide emissions.
- Water is conserved and reused for irrigation systems in its landscape.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF GRAHAM HOLDINGS
- Graham Holdings Company trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE stock symbol “GHC”.
- Data analysis for the company’s quarterly period ending June 30, 2019 reports operating revenues of $ 737,602 thousand. Operating costs and expenses are $ 679,639 thousand. Net income is $ 57,195 thousand. Total assets are $ 5,212,950 thousand.
- Cash and cash equivalents are $ 171,969 thousand. Dividends are $ 7,388 thousand.