HUMANA (HUM) Stocks
📊 American company Humana Inc., together with its subsidiaries, operate a health and well-being company. Medical and supplemental benefit plans are on offer to individuals, seniors and military members. Humana Inc. has contracts with Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services for the administering of the Limited Income Newly Eligible Transition prescription drug plan program. The company also has various contracts with states within the U.S. to provide Medicaid, long-term and dual eligible support services benefits.
📊 The company also provides commercially fully-insured medical and specialty health insurance benefits comprising vision, dental as well as other supplemental health and voluntary insurance benefits. It also offers financial protection products and administrative services only products to employer groups, individuals and military services. Humana Inc. offers pharmacy solutions, predictive modelling and informatics services, provider services and clinical care services.
📊 As of December 2018 Humana Inc. has approximately 17 million medical benefit plan members and around 6 million members in speciality products. Humana Inc.’s history dates back to 1961. Today it has more than 41 000 employees and is headquartered in Louisville, Kentucky.
📊 The company’s subsidiaries include MetCare, Humana Military Health Services, Inc., Anvita Health, Personal Nurse, Comprehensive Health Insights, Inc. and Humco, Inc.
You might also like: GOLDMAN SACHS STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF HUMANA
- In 1961 a nursing home company is founded by lawyers David A. Jones, Sr. and Wendell Cherry. In 1968 the company known as Extendicare Inc. becomes the largest nursing home company in the U.S. In 1972 the nursing home chain is sold to purchase hospitals. In 1974 the corporate name becomes Humana Inc. In 1978 the company takes over American Medicorp Inc., doubling the size of the company and growing into the largest hospital company in the world in the 1980’s. During these years Humana Inc. creates its own health insurance plan.
- Humana owns 77 hospitals and becomes the largest hospital operator in the U.S. in 1993. Company executives create Galen Health Care when they spin off hospital operations from health insurance operations. The next year they sell Galen Health Care Inc.’s 73 hospitals to the Nashville-based Columbia Hospital Corporation of America for the price of $3.4 billion. Humana enters into a business partnership with Virgin Group in 2005.
- In 2006 Humana partners with The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and expand on traditional private-sector approaches to population health management. In the same year the company launches its education campaign to market Medicare Advantage (MA) and Prescription Drug Plans (PDP) nationwide. Humana also launches RightSource, its retail pharmacy nationwide mail-order business. In 2008 Fortune Magazine names Humana Inc. one of the Top 5 Most Admired Healthcare Companies in the United States. Humana buys Texas-based Concentra Inc., owner of urgent-care and physical therapy centers, for the price of $790 million in 2010.
- The company announces that it will be using mobileStorm to transmit protected health information to patients in 2011. Humana and two private equity firms buy Kindred Healthcare in 2018. Humana pays approximately $800 million for a 40% stake in the company’s home health, hospice and community care business called Kindred at Home.
- The company ranks #56 on the Fortune 500 list in 2018, making it the highest ranked company by revenues based in Kentucky. It is the third largest health insurance in the U.S.
VALUES OF HUMANA
- Humana Inc.’s values are to inspire health, cultivate uniqueness, pioneer simplicity, thrive together and rethink routine. The company and its employees work hard on sustainability and have reduced its greenhouse gas emissions by more than 6% since 2014. It has also diverted 40% of its waste by using less and recycling more.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF HUMANA
- Humana Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE Stock Symbol “HUM”.
- The company’s revenue for the twelve months ending March 31, 2019 is $58.740 billion – an 8.21% increase year-over-year. Humana’s annual revenue for 2018 is $56.912 billion – a 5.85% increase from 2017.
You might also like: GILEAD SCIENCES STOCKS
LATEST NEWS HUMANA
Buy HUMANA stocks / shares – 📈 A Step by Step Guide how to Buy / Purchase HUMANA Stocks or Shares online.
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy HUMANA Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN HUMANA STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE HUMANA STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of HUMANA stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy HUMANA stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : GENERAL MOTORS STOCKS