📊 JSE Ltd (JSE), also known as the Johannesburg Stock Exchange, is the only South African full service stock exchange that is licenced. The company is located in Sandton, Johannesburg. JSE Ltd offers numerous services including primary and secondary capital markets for local and international investors, a secondary market trading in equities, financial and commodity derivatives, currency derivativesas well as a clearing, settlement and assurance division.
📊 JSE Ltd is recognised as the largest stock exchange in Africa and one of the top twenty largest stock exchanges globally. The company offers five different financial markets for investors to buy or sellshares. JSE Ltd holds by its 2012 strategy: to provide cost-effective, innovative opportunities and market credibility to its investors. A few of the major shareholders that invest in JSE Ltd are the Public Investment Commissioner, Government Employees Pension Fund andInvestec Asset Management.
📊 JSE Ltd has an estimated 400 companies listed on the stock exchange. With local and international businesses, JSE Ltd has approximately 120 equity derivatives members, 60 equities members, 90 commodity derivatives members as well as 100 interest rate and currency derivatives members.
You might also like: ITALTILE SHARES
VISION & VALUES OF JSE
- JSE Ltd follows a strict strategy for the future. This includes putting clients first, conducting operations to a global standard, investing in great opportunities, being trustworthy and stable as well as growing in value.
- The company values its clients and can always be counted on. Employees and leaders are enthusiastic, proactive and authentic, doing what is promised. Being insightful and understanding is another value and is considered when making decisions.
- JSE Ltd contributes great amounts of money to communities in need. More than 400 schools, 70 universities and 22 000 students benefit annually from the estimated R6 million that JSE Ltd contributes in community development.
- The JSE Empowerment Fund contributes approximately R12 million to more than 60 people to provide qualifications and opportunities to enter financial services.
- JSE Ltd’s Socio-economic development donates more than R5 million to non-profit organizations that assist communities with healthcare, education as well as skills and development.
HISTORY OF JSE
- On the 8th of November, 1887, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange is founded by Benjamin Wollan.Wollan’s own company, Johannesburg Chambers and Company, is the first company that is listed. In 1963 the JSE is admitted to World Federation of Exchanges (WEF) and in 1993 it becomes a founding member of the African Stock Exchanges Association (ASEA).
- On the 1st of July, 2005, the company is incorporated in South Africa as JSE Ltd and a year later lists itself on its own exchange. In 2009 JSE Ltd lists single stock futures on Google and Microsoft. Investors can now trade in these American companies without having to use its R2 million foreign allowance.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF JSE
- JSE Ltd trades under the stock symbol (JSE).
- The 2019forecast for JSE Ltd stocks predict a good buy for potential investors, as the history of this share price shows strong gains and high value. The company’s analysisdata reports earnings increased with 8 percent to a total of R904 million.
- Revenue increased with 1 percent to R2.28 billion. Operating costs are R1.35 billion and general expenses are R492 million.Dividends are paid to JSE Ltd shareholders.
You might also like: INVESTEC PLC SHARES
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy JSE Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN JSE STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE JSE STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of JSE stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy JSE stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : INVESTEC SHARES