MACY’S (M) Stocks
📊 Macy’s, Inc. is a leading retail company that operates through more than 870 stores, online shops and mobile applications.
📊 The company’s portfolio includes popular brands such as Macy’s, Bloomingdale and Bluemercury. Macy’s is the company’s largest brand. It offers fashionable items at a good price. Products are offered in its nearly 650 stores in 43 states, online and through its mobile app. Bloomingdale is an upmarket department store.
📊 Its products are offered in 38 stores across 13 states, online and in its 17 The Outlet stores. Bluemercury is known for its fast growing beauty products and retail spa chain. It has its own brands – Lune+Aster Cosmetics and M-61 Powerful Skincare. Products are offered in 167 specialty stores in 27 states.
📊 Macy’s, Inc. is an S&P 500 component. The company’s corporate headquarters are in Cincinnati, Ohio, and New York. It employs more than 130 000 people in 43 states, Guam, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.
HISTORY OF MACY’S
- In 1858 R.H. Macy & Co. is founded by Rowland H. Macy in New York City. It originally starts out as a dry goods store. In 1888 the Straus family purchases a general partnership in the company.
- Macy’s moves to Herald Square, New York, in 1902.
- By 1924 that location becomes the world’s largest store. Macy’s has its first parade that same year which is known today as Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. The company buys Atlanta’s Davison-Paxon.
- In 1929 Federal Department Stores, Inc., is formed. It acts as a holding company for Abraham & Straus, F&R Lazarus as well with its subsidiaries as well as Filene’s. Macy’s buys O’Connor Moffat & Company.
- In 1985 Davison’s in Atlanta is renamed Macy’s. A few acquisitions take place and Macy’s expands to other areas.
- In 2005 Federal Department Stores, Inc. starts to operate under the Macy’s name.
- In 2007 Federal shareholders decide to rename the holding company Macy’s, Inc.
- In 2013 Macy’s, Inc. has its fifth consecutive year of double digit earnings increases. The same year the company owns 500 stores.
VISION & VALUES OF MACY’S
- Macy’s, Inc. is committed to act socially and environmentally responsible. The company’s stores aim to reduce water and electricity consumption. Renewable energy sources are installed and sustainable building materials will be used in future building projects.
- The company contributes to the communities from which it operates. Since 1998 the company, its employees and customers have raised nearly $43 million to aid hungry children with its Bag Hunger campaign.
- Another $52 million are donated to non-profits across the globe and more than 152 000 hours of community services are volunteered by the company and its employees.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF MACY’S
- Macy’s, Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE stock symbol “M”.
- Data analysis for the company’s quarterly period ending May 4, 2019 reports total assets of $ 21,296 million. Net sales are $ 5,504 million and net income is $ 136 million. Operating income is $ 203 million and comprehensive income is $ 142 million.
- Net cash provided by operating activities in the 13 weeks ending May 4, 2019 are $ 38 million. Dividends paid in this period are $ 116 million. Cash, cash equivalents and restricted cash at the end of the period are $ 815 million.