PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL (PBCT) Stocks
ABOUT PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL
📊 People’s United Financial, Inc., an American bank holding company, was incorporated on November 2, 2006 and has its headquarters in Bridgeport, Connecticut. The company is the financial holding company of People’s United Bank (The Bank). The latter offers commercial banking, retail banking and wealth management services to individual, corporate and municipal customers.
📊 The bank operates a total of 403 branches situated in Connecticut, New York State, Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine and New Hampshire. It is also the second largest full-service bank in the state of New England. The company’s history can be traced back to the founding of the Bridgeport Savings Bank in 1842.
📊 Over the years, the company grew exponentially through acquiring several companies such as First Stamford Bank and Trust company in 1981, Guardian Federal Savings and Loan Association of Bridgeport in 1982, First Federal Savings Bank in 1986, Landmark Bank in 1991, Norwich Financial Corporation in 1998 and Financial Federal Corporation in 2010, to name but a few.
📊 People’s United Bank was the first to provide a telephone bill paying service in 1981 and to issue credit cards (1985). Today, the company employs more than 5 000 people across its various operations.
You might also like: PENTAIR STOCKS
HISTORY OF PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL
- People’s United Financial, Inc. conducts its operations through two segments: Commercial Banking and Retail Banking. The company offers brokerage, financial advisory services and investment management services as well as life insurance via People’s Securities, Inc. (PSI); equipment financing through People’s Capital and Leasing Corp. (PCLC) and People’s United Equipment Finance Corp. (PUEFC), as well as other insurance services through People’s United Insurance Agency, Inc. (PUIA).
- The Bank’s distribution network comprises investment and brokerage offices, commercial banking offices, online banking and investment trading and a 24/7 telephone banking service. It also maintains a mortgage warehouse lending group in Kentucky and a national credits group that services various industries countrywide.
- Commercial Banking focuses on commercial real-estate lending, industrial lending and commercial deposit gathering services. It also provides cash management, correspondent banking, municipal banking, institutional trust services as well as corporate trust and insurance services. Retail Banking offers consumer lending and consumer deposit gathering services. This segment includes brokerage, investment management services, financial advisory services and life insurance and non-institutional trust services.
- The company conducts its lending activities through both operating segments. These include originating loans secured by commercial and residential real estate, as well as extending secured and unsecured loans to commercial and consumer customers. The company uses its securities portfolio for earnings generation, liquidity, interest-rate risk management, asset diversification and tax planning. Its primary funding sources are deposits and stockholders’ equity.
VISION & VALUES OF PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL
- People’s United Financial, Inc. is active in the communities it lives and works and invests time and money to address the needs of all community members. The company is people-orientated and adheres to values such as collaboration, empowerment, trust and open communication.
- These values form the basis of its operations and relationships. This business model fosters trust and adds value for shareholders who purchase shares.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL
- People’s United Financial, Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “PBCT”. The company is an S&P 500 component.
- The company’s net income for the first quarter 2019 was US$114.6 million, or $0.30 per common share. Its common dividend increased to an annual rate of $0.71 per share.
- Its solid performance in the market affords shareholders the confidence to buy or sell shares in the expectation of sound dividends and returns.
You might also like: SL GREEN REALTY STOCKS
LATEST NEWS PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy PEOPLE’S UNITED FINANCIAL stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : SKYWORKS SOLUTIONS STOCKS