SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY (STX) Stocks
ABOUT SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY
📊 Seagate Technology PLC provides electronic data storage solutions and technologies. Its product portfolio includes solid state hybrid drives, hard disc drives, peripheral component interconnect express cards, serial advanced technology architecture, storage subsystems and high-performance computing solutions.
📊 These products are offered to enterprise servers, mobile and desktop computing, digital video recorders, digital media systems, surveillance systems, portable external storage systems, personal data backup systems etc.
📊 Seagate Technology’s products are designed to produce high revolutions per minute, high capacity and serves multiple data storage applications.
📊 Seagate Technology’s headquarters is located in Dublin, Ireland. Its operational headquarters is in Cupertino, California.
HISTORY OF SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY
- In November 1978 Shugart Technology is incorporated. The company’s name is later changed to Seagate Technology. In 1980 it develops the first 5.25 inch hard disk drive. Seagate becomes a big distributor in microcomputer markets. IBM buys numerous hard drives from Seagate and develops its first personal computer with a hard drive.
- In 1989 Seagate purchases Imprimis Technology from Control Data Corporation. A few years later the company buys Conner Peripherals, Maxtor and Samsung’s hard disc drive businesses.
- In the early 1990’s Seagate is the 17th largest company on the Nasdaq exchange.
- In 1993 Seagate Technology starts its trade on the New York Stock Exchange. It buys Maxtor for a price of $1.9 billion. Seagate is named Company of the year by Forbes Magazine in 2006. The company purchases a software company named Frye Computer Systems.
- In 2010 the company is incorporated in Dublin, Ireland. The same years dividends are re-established and the company launches it stock buyback plan.
- The early 2010’s Seagate Technology increasing its dividends and it repurchases approximately 30 percent of its outstanding shares. The company purchases a storage systems company, Xyratex for a price of $375 million in 2014.
- A year later it buys a software and hardware storage systems supplier, Dot Hill Systems Corp. for a price of $696 million. More acquisitions take place during the next few years to build the successful company that Seagate Technologies PLC is today.
VISION & VALUES OF SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY
- Seagate Technology PLC has several partnerships with Fortune 500 companies. The company’s values of integrity, inclusion and innovation ensures that business is conducted in a way that all parties benefit from its decision making.
- Seagate Technology contributes to the communities and the environment from which it operates. The company encourages an interest in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education. At least 50 percent of funding is allocated to education.
- Seagate encourages and supports healthy lifestyles, helps the unfortunate and minimizes its environmental footprint. To minimize and help prevent carbon emissions, the company reduces the amount of carbon and energy required to manufacture products.
- It identifies energy efficient procedures as well as audit systems and performance while manufacturing products.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY
- Seagate Technology PLC trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the NYSE stock symbol “STX”.
- Analysis data for Seagate’s fourth quarter results for 2019 reports a revenue of $2.37 billion. Cash flow from operations is $297 million.
- The company repurchased 7.8 million shares for a price of $350 million. Seagate declared cash dividends of $0.63 per share.
LATEST NEWS SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?