S&P GLOBAL (SPGI) Stocks
ABOUT S&P GLOBAL
📊 S&P Global, Inc., a financial information and analytics corporation, was founded in 1917 and has its headquarters in Manhattan, New York, in the United States. The company is a majority owner of the S&P Dow Jones Indices joint venture. It is also the parent company of S&P Global Ratings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, and S&P Platts.
📊 The company provides credit ratings, research and insights across industries such as petrochemicals, metals, energy and agriculture, as well as across asset classes and geographies. It supplies credit ratings that provide opinion on the overall capacity of an entity to meet its financial commitments. These credit ratings also provide information on the creditworthiness of an obligor with regards to a specific financial obligation or program, as well as loan ratings. The company offers national and regional scale credit ratings, as well as ERM benchmark reviews.
📊 The latter is a comparison of an insurance company’s ERM practices against an appropriate peer group and its criteria. Other products include credit ratings, issue credit ratings, Standard & Poor’s underlying ratings (SPURs), national and regional scale credit ratings, counterparty instrument ratings, fund credit quality ratings, principal stability fund ratings, insurer financial strength ratings, mid-market evaluations (MMEs), and swap risk ratings, to name but a few.
📊 S&P’s predecessor companies’ history can be traced back to 1888, to when James H. McGraw purchase the American Journal of Railway Appliances. John A. Hill also produced traded publications and formed the Hill Publishing Company in 1902.
📊 In 1909 McGraw and Hill together founded the McGraw-Hill Book Company. McGraw-Hill acquired The Economy Company in 1986, making it the largest educational publisher in the U.S. Today, S&P global employs approximately 17 000 people. Today, S&P Global, Inc. employs approximately 17 000 people.
You might also like: ROSS STORES STOCKS
OVERVIEW OF S&P GLOBAL
- S&P Global, Inc. operates through four business segments, depending upon the market in which it is involved. They are: S&P Global Ratings, S&P Global Market Intelligence, S&P Dow Jones Indices, and S&P Global Platts.
- S&P Global Ratings focusses on independent investment research, including ratings on various investment instruments. S&P Global Market Intelligence provides multi-asset class and real-time data, news, research and analytics to institutional investors, commercial and investment banks, wealth managers and investment advisors, corporations and universities, Its subsidiary is Leveraged Commentary & Data.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence has multi-asset class data, research and analytical capabilities. It offers integrated cross-asset analytics and desktop services, and gives its clientele in the commodity and energy markets access to data, information, analytic services, and pricing and benchmarks. Its clientele include investment banks, investors, asset managers, brokers, financial advisors and insurance companies. Products in this segment include the S&P Capital IQ Platform, SNL Unlimited Platform, iPartners, SNL Banker, Alpha Factor Library, CreditPro and ClarFI.
- S&P Dow Jones Indices is the largest global resource for index-based concepts, data and research. It was launched in July, 2012, and produces the Dow Jones Industrial Average and the S&P 500. This resource calculates more than 830,000 indices and publishes benchmarks that form the basis for 575 ETFs worldwide, comprising of US$387 billion in invested assets. It also serves as the DNA for U$S1.5 trillion global indexed assets.
- S&P Global Platts is headquartered in London, and provides information and benchmark price assessments for the commodities, petrochemicals and energy, agriculture, and metals markets. Its offices are situated in London, Dubai, Singapore and Houston, as well as in the international business centres of São Paulo, New York City and Shanghai.
VALUES OF S&P GLOBAL
- S&P Global, Inc. is passionate about delivering the assessments and analytics needed by companies and individuals to make informed decisions about their financial futures. It is committed to more inclusive and sustainable business, no matter what.
- Its whole company ethos is based on a holistic value proposition. If everyone adheres to values such as integrity, transparency, drive, commitment and innovation, success is guaranteed. When everyone contributes, everyone wins.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF S&P GLOBAL
- S&P Global, Inc. trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “SPGI”.
- The company’s strong financial results in a volatile market environment, affords shareholders the confidence to buy or sell company shares in the expectation of lucrative dividends and returns. In the fourth quarter of 2018, for example, the company’s diluted EPS increased to US$2.03 and to US$7.73 for the full year.
- In 2018, US$2.2 billion were returned to shareholders through share repurchases and dividends.
You might also like: ROPER TECHNOLOGIES STOCKS
LATEST NEWS S&P GLOBAL
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy S&P GLOBAL Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN S&P GLOBAL STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE S&P GLOBAL STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of S&P GLOBAL stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy S&P GLOBAL stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : RAYTHEON STOCKS