SYMANTEC (SYMC) Stocks
📊 Symantec Corporation (known as Symantec), an American software company, was incorporated on April 19, 1988 and has its headquarters in Mountain View, California. The company focuses on cybersecurity software and services and provides its clients with security and information management solutions.
📊 It operates through a global civilian cyber intelligence threat network and tracks threats across the Internet from endpoints, mobile devices and servers worldwide. The company has development centers in Pune, Chennai and Bengaluru (India).
📊 The company was founded in 1982 by Gary Hendrix and originally focused on artificial intelligence-related projects. In 1984 it was acquired by C&E Software but retained the name Symantec.
📊 The new Symantec combined file management and word-processing functionalities and added and advanced Natural Language query system that set new standards database-query and report generation. The latter was named “The Intelligent Assistant”.
📊 In 2016 the company sold its information-management subsidiary, Veritas Technologies (which it had acquired in 2004) to the Carlyle Group. The company’s name is a portmanteau of the words “syntax” and “semantics”. Today, the company employs approximately 12 500 people across its operations.
HISTORY OF SYMANTEC
- Symantec Corporation conducts its operations through two segments: Consumer Security and Enterprise Security. The company’s services portfolio includes business critical services, consulting services, customer success services, cyber security services and education services.
- The Consumer Security segment assists customers to be productive and protected at home and at work. This segment’s Norton-branded services offer multi-layer security and identity protection on desktop and mobile operating systems that provides protection against online threats to individuals, families and small businesses. These products also manage the increase in mobile and digital data such as photos, personal financial records, music and videos. Enterprise Security protects companies so they can safely conduct business.
- This segment’s portfolio comprises threat protection products, information protection products and cyber security services. These products and services assist customers to secure information in transit, and wherever the information resides in the network path. This protects customer data from advanced protection threats, malicious spam and phishing attacks, hackers, malware and cyber criminals.
- These products also prevent the loss of confidential data and assist customers to comply with laws and regulations. Enterprise endpoint security and management offerings in this segment support the evolving endpoint by providing advanced threat protection while reducing cost and complexity. These solutions are delivered via software, software-as-a-service (SaaS) and managed services.
VISION & VALUES OF SYMANTEC
- Symantec Corporation is passionate about helping its clientele to protect their personal information and devices. The company seeks to deliver extraordinary products and services that add value for clients as well as shareholders who purchase company shares.
- Symantec’s operations are deeply rooted in values such as boldness, agility, openness, honesty, customer focus, passion, collaboration and diversity. By implementing these values in its daily operations, the company creates trust among its partners and stakeholders and stimulates growth.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF SYMANTEC
- Symantec Corporation trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “SYMC”. The company is an S&P 500 component. In 2018 the company recorded total revenue of US$4.846 billion, a 21% increase over the previous fiscal cycle.
- Cash flow for fiscal 2018 was US$950 million. These sound financials bode well for shareholders as they can buy or sell company shares in the expectation of solid dividends and returns.