UNITED PARCEL SERVICE (UPS) Stocks
ABOUT UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
📊 United Parcel Service (UPS), a multinational package delivery and supply-chain management company, was founded in 1907 and has its headquarters in Seattle, Washington, in the United States. The company was incorporated in 1999 and is a provider of global supply chain management solutions. Its global logistics headquarters is situated in Sandy Springs, Georgia, in the U.S.
📊 Apart from its package delivery operation, the UPS brand name denotes many of its segments and subsidiaries such as UPS Airlines (its cargo airline), UPS Freight, and UPS Store (its retail-based packing and shipping centres).
📊 UPS operates via three divisions: U.S Domestic Package operations, International Package operations, and Supply Chain & Freight operation. UPS is active in more than 220 countries and territories.
📊 UPS’s European air hub is situated in Cologne, Germany. The company also has Asia-Pacific air hubs in Shanghai and Shenzhen in China, and Hong Kong. Its Canada air hub is located in Hamilton, Ontario, and its Latin America and Caribbean hub in Miami, Florida. UPS’s ground fleet in the U.S. serves all business and residential zip codes in America.
📊 UPS offers logistics services such as transportation, distribution, contract logistics, ground freight, ocean freight, air freight, customs brokerage, and insurance and financing services to the global market. Today, the company employs approximately 480 000 people across its operations worldwide.
You might also like: U.S. BANCORP
OVERVIEW OF UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
- United Parcel Service‘s U.S. Domestic Package operations offer guaranteed ground and air package transportation services that its clients can purchase. It also offers UPS SurePost, a residential ground service for clients with non-urgent, lightweight residential shipments. This service combines the reliability of the UPS Ground network with final delivery provided by the United States Postal Service.
- The UPS International Package comprises of small-package operations in Europe, Asia-Pacific, Canada and Latin America, India, the Middle East and Africa. UPS offers three guaranteed time-specific express options: Express Plus, Express and Express Saver. For cross-border ground package delivery, customers can choose UPS Standard delivery services within Europe, between the U.S and Canada, and the U.S and Mexico. UPS Worldwide Express Freight operates in 66 countries to 64 destination countries.
- WorldShip, UPS’s desktop shipping application, provides middle-market and customers with shipping capabilities. Its marketplace shipping (which integrates www.ups.com with eBay, Amazon, BigCommerce and Etsy) enables marketplace sellers to ship their orders through www.ups.com or WorldShip.
Customers can manage and track shipments through UPS Quantum View.
- UPS Paperless allows client to self-enrol and upload shipping documents. UPS TradeAbility tools assist clients to manage the movement of goods internationally and the UPS Billing Centre enable customers to manage and pay their invoices. The company also offers the UPS Developer Kit API’s through which clients can streamline and automate their international business processes.
VALUES OF UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
- United Parcel Service is committed to offering excellence and value in all of its operations. The company strives to maintain a financially strong foundation with broad employee ownership that offers a long-term competitive return to its shareholders.
- It seeks to inspire its people and business partners to do their best, and enables opportunities for personal development and success. It leads by example as a caring and responsible company that enrich the lives of the communities in which it operates. Its core values comprise integrity, teamwork, determination, service, quality and efficiency. It believes creativity and change are essential to growth.
MARKET PERFORMANCE OF UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
- United Parcel Service is ranked #44 on the 2018 Fortune 500 list of biggest U.S corporations by total revenue. The company trades on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the stock symbol “UPS”.
- In 2018, it recorded revenue of US$71.861 billion, with net income of US$4.791 billion and total assets valued at US$50.016 billion. Shareholders can therefore buy or sell company shares in the expectation of sound dividends and returns on their investment.
You might also like: TRAVELERS COMPANIES STOCKS
LATEST NEWS UNITED PARCEL SERVICE
Before buying any stock or share one has to consider a few factors.
STEP 1: PROPER RESEARCH IS ESSENTIAL
Upon deciding you want to buy UNITED PARCEL SERVICE Stocks / Shares, it is critical for the serious investor to do proper research into the said company. Its values should align with those of the investor’s current portfolio. An investor needs to familiarise himself with the basics and history of the company, as well as its leadership and performance in the market. Its company reports should also be scrutinized.
Consultation with a brokerage firm can also assist in determining whether investing in a specific company will complement the investor’s current portfolio. The investment “risk ladder”, which identifies asset classes based on their relative riskiness, is another useful tool when determining which company’s stock / share is the best to buy.
STEP 2: CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF INVESTMENT IN UNITED PARCEL SERVICE STOCKS / SHARES
It is important for an investor to monitor his total investment in stock in order to keep his portfolio aligned to his investment strategy. The overall value of his holdings will change with the fluctuation in stock prices, which can throw his portfolio off balance. To determine the amount to invest, multiply the number of shares of each stock by its current market price to determine the total investment in that specific stock. For example, if you own 100 shares of a $5 stock, multiply 100 by $5 to get $500.
STEP 3: DECIDE ON THE STOCK / SHARE ORDER TYPE
Investors can choose from a market order, a limit order, a stop order (also referred to as a stop-loss order) or a buy/sell stop order. It is important to familiarise yourself with each type’s pros and cons before deciding which one will suit your current stock profile best. An investor should be guided in this choice by his investment objective.
STEP 4: OPEN A BROKERAGE ACCOUNT
A brokerage account – also known as taxable investment account – is similar to a retirement account, but more flexible. Where a retirement account has limitations on the amount of money that can be contributed annually, and restrictions on when funds can be withdrawn, a brokerage account is more flexible. The latter has no income or contribution limit and the investor can withdraw his money at any given time. This flexibility, together with its potential investment gains, makes a brokerage account more attractive to serious investors. Brokerage accounts are ideal for goals or savings that are further than five years away, but closer than retirement. It can also supplement an investor’s emergency savings.
STEP 5: COMMIT AND PURCHASE UNITED PARCEL SERVICE STOCKS / SHARES
Lastly, commit to the stock. Pro Tip: Monitor the value of your stock to ensure you have a growing stock value and dividend pay-out. Regularly check the share price online to ensure your investment delivers a positive return on investment. You are now a proud owner of UNITED PARCEL SERVICE stocks / shares.
5 Questions to ask yourself before purchasing any stocks or shares.
- Is it the best time to buy this stock / share?
- Should I buy UNITED PARCEL SERVICE stocks / shares in the current economic climate?
- Can I afford to buy this stock / share?
- What is the forecast of the stock / share growth?
- What is the current price per earning ration on the stock / share?
Read more about : TJX COMPANIES STOCKS